Roofs collapsed, cars were crushed and trees were uprooted in the chaotic storm


The small town of Kurri Kurri in the NSW Hunter Valley has weathered the brunt of the wild weather today when high winds tore the roofs of buildings and homes.

A brutal storm that swept across Sydney and the east coast left damage usually caused by a tornado.

CCTV footage of the main street shows the chaotic storm in Kurri Kurri, which lasts only two minutes at 2pm.

Two people were injured when the roof of a library in Kurri Kurri collapsed. (Delivered)A tree fell on a Mazda 3 and caused significant damage. (9NEWS)

Winds exceeding 100 kilometers per hour hit the city, where washing machines fly, roofs collapsed, cars crushed and trees were uprooted.

Two people were taken to Maitland Hospital for minor injuries after the roof of a community library on Lang Street collapsed.

NSW’s state ambulance service received more than 70 calls regarding storm damage and power outages, with many reporting roof loss.

The storm hit at 2 p.m. and lasted only a few minutes.  (Delivered) The storm hit at 2 p.m. and lasted only a few minutes. (Delivered)

Hundreds of houses in Kurri Kurri, Cessnock and Maitland are still without electricity.

Locals used social media to post shocking photos and videos of the aftermath of the storm.

A blue Mazda 3 was destroyed when a large tree fell on it, causing significant damage.

The Kurri Kurri Hotel is said to have a hole in the roof.

The shell of Kurri Kurri’s ambulance training hall was the only part that was left.

Weather zone spokesman Ben Domensino said the storms developed along a low pressure valley that crossed the state from west to east today.

“Dry westerly winds after the trough forced warmer, moisture-laden air in front of them to soar quickly, leading to violent storms,” ​​said Domensino.

The SES received around 70 calls regarding storm damage.  (Delivered)The SES received around 70 calls regarding storm damage. (Delivered)

“A particularly dangerous storm cell wreaked havoc in Kurri Kurri in the early afternoon. According to reports, roofs of buildings and uprooted trees were torn down.

“A weather station in Murrurundi Gap in the Hunter District registered a wind gust of 100 km / h just before 2 p.m. At around the same time, another storm cell in Cessnock produced 11 mm of rain in 10 minutes.”

Mr Domensino said for the second day in a row that large hail had fallen in NSW.

“Hailstones 4 cm in diameter – about the size of a golf ball – were hammered into the ground in Narrabri just before 3:30 pm,” he said.

“The band of severe storms will continue to move through the northeast of the state this afternoon and tonight.”