Mold and mildew are not only unsightly, they are also unhealthy.
These mushrooms grow easily in damp areas and are found in the air that is inhaled both indoors and outdoors. If left untreated, mold and mildew can harm the health of residents in a home.
Powdery mildew is a type of mold that stays relatively flush with the surface on which it grows. Other molds can look puffy. Molds are used to destroy organic materials. However, in large quantities, these microorganisms can cause breathing problems, sinus congestion, throat irritation, headaches, and other problems, especially if the mold grows freely indoors, says Better Homes and Gardens. As a result, it’s important to treat mold before it becomes a problem.
According to Polygon, a drying technology and temporary climate solutions company, the rainy season is winter when molds grow and expand frequently. Mold can affect the integrity and strength of the surfaces on which it grows.
Homeowners can use the following strategies to prevent mold growth.
n Keep all surfaces clean and use suitable cleaning agents. Dilute bleach solutions are highly effective at killing microscopic fungi, viruses and bacteria.
n Reduce humidity and moisture by ensuring adequate air circulation in rooms, especially in bathrooms and kitchens. An exhaust fan will help remove moisture quickly.
n Powdery mildew covered fabrics that can be washed should be carefully removed and washed in chlorine bleach and hot water. An oxygen bleach product can also be effective.
n Invest in a dehumidifier that can reduce the humidity in the home in problem areas like damp basements or garages.
n Fix leaks as soon as possible.
n Remove damp leaves and snow from areas around the foundation of the house. Make sure gutters and downspouts are free of debris and can effectively divert water away from the house.
n Replace cracked or broken mortars in basements.
n Make sure that all seals on windows and doors are undamaged and in good condition.
n Make sure an in-line HVAC humidifier is set to the correct setting and is not pumping too much moisture into the heated air. Otherwise, the added moisture can contribute to mold.
n If a flood or water enters a home in some other way, use a professional service to clean and dry the home effectively.