10/14/2022 | 7 PM
Oct. 14 (Fri) / 7 PM
BOSTON – Thanks to a hat trick from freshman Quinn Hutson, the No. 9/12 Boston University men’s ice hockey team defeated the University of Waterloo, 7-1, in an exhibition contest on Saturday night at Agganis Arena.
After defeating Bentley, 8-2, in their regular-season opener last weekend, the Terriers continued their stellar play in the offensive end, scoring the final seven goals of the contest. In addition to Hutson’s three tallies, senior Matt Brown, sophomore Ty Gallagher, senior Ethan Phillips and sophomore Tristan Amonte each found the back of the net.
Junior Dylan Peterson produced three assists, all of which were the primary helper, while freshman Jeremy Wilmer, senior Jay O’Brien and freshman Lane Hutson each added two assists. Seniors Jamie Armstrong and Sean Driscoll assisted on Amonte’s shorthanded strike while classmate Domenick Fensore and freshman Ryan Greene also notched one assist apiece. Twelve Terriers in total recorded a point on Saturday.
Junior goaltenders Drew Commesso and Vinny Duplessis both saw time between the pipes on Saturday, with Commesso making four stops and Duplessis turning aside all seven shots he faced. The Terriers outshot the Warriors, 65-12, in the win.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors opened the scoring at 12:50 of the first period but BU responded at the 15:44 mark when Brown followed up his own shot and knocked home a rebound after a goalmouth scramble.
- BU held a 23-3 advantage in shots on goal through the first 20 minutes
- Quinn Hutson’s two goals in the second stanza gave BU a 3-1 lead. His first one was a one-timer off a feed from Wilmer, while his second strike was a tap-in from in front of the net after Peterson skated to the goal line and dropped a pass back to the rookie forward.
- Gallagher extended the lead to 4-1 at 4:45 of the third. He danced around a defender at the right point before skating to the bottom of the right circle and roofing a shot over Dan Murphy’s glove.
- Quinn Hutson completed his hat trick with a power-play marker at 12:12 of the third of a feed from his brother Lane, with Phillips scoring just 1:08 later as the Warriors continued to kill their five-minute major.
- Amonte closed the scoring with less than 20 seconds remaining in regulation. Driscoll won a battle behind his own net and got the puck to Armstrong, who fired a pass to Amonte at the Waterloo blue line. Amonte stretched to stay onside as he collected the puck before deking past his defender, charging to the net and scoring.
- BU went 2-for-7 on the power play for the second straight game and killed off both penalties it took.
- Brown and Hutson have each scored in both games this season.
- Eleven different Terriers have lit the lamp over the first two tilts.
- BU will return to regular-season action on Friday, Oct. 14, when the Terriers travel to Ann Arbor to begin a two-game series against No. 7/6 Michigan.
- Friday’s fixture is scheduled for 7 p.m., with the two teams then facing off on Sunday, Oct. 16, at 5 p.m.